Thursday 8 September 2011

How I deal with infertility


I wrote this on Monday night of this week.


I think that there can't be many things more painful for a woman then infertility.
I was thinking and praying about how hard it is for my wife to so desire to have another baby but be powerless to change the circumstances.


In the book of Genesis, the first book of the Bible, after God has made Adam and Eve he says be fruitful and multiply it's a directive from our creator to have children I think that it's part of how we are made in His image to have children who are made in our image. 
My point is that having children is in the fabric of our created nature.
I think it is why it's so hard when for whatever reason we find ourselves unable to.


As I was praying for my wife tonight about this very thing, the Holy Spirit gave me a new way to look at this circumstance. Nicole and I feel very strongly that we need to adopt we felt it before we were married and it's a passion that has never gone away. Much like being pregnant is the time for preparing for the new arrival so this time that Nicole and I have as we work toward adopting is a time of preparing.


When Olivia our first-born daughter was growing in Nicole there was time to talk to and pray for this life that was coming into our lives and family.  The Holy Spirit showed me that we need to be pregnant with the life that is going to be coming into our family in the form of an adopted child. Right now, my son or daughter is maybe wondering if he or she will soon be coming into our family. Wondering if their mommy and daddy will soon rejoice over their entry into their world.

One of my favourite lyrics is from Hillsong United  the track name is "Hosanna"

"break my heart for what breaks yours everything I am for your kingdoms cause as I walk from earth into eternity"

I want my heart to break because there are children tonight that are hoping that a mom and dad are hoping for them.

For me making the step from living in an earth bound mentality to an eternal kingdom building mentality is realizing that children are going to sleep tonight without hope and doing something to change that reality for them.
If I am to be fully me, I must keep my future children in the forefront of my mind and intentions.

These are some late night thoughts Lord use them as you will.

4 comments:

  1. You are so not alone! My neice will be one oct 15 and her adoption has been the most amazing journey! She came home 3weeks after her birth. If you guys ever want to connect let me know because they have gone through this they are very knowledgable!!! We will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow the calling ... Neil and I have struggled with the same thing for years. It's frustrating when it seems like every irresponsible sixteen year old who chooses can get pregnant. Compound that with people who hurt their kids in the news and you wonder why God doesn't seem to bless your family yet he blesses people who seem undeserving. Maybe your blessing is already here. Maybe you just need the path to open so you can find him/her. Maybe we have all been praying for the wrong thing ... Instead of asking God to give us a baby, maybe we should be asking Him "where is our baby...show us where to look" :)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both for your comments. Sorry for the delay in the reply I am new to this sort of thing.

    Tawny Thanks so much for telling us about your sister in law. Nicole is now her friend on facebook. We will no doubt be picking their brains.

    Kim, wow thanks so much for sharing that. I would love to continue this conversation face to face I don't know how these blog comments work so I will send you a message on facebook.

    ReplyDelete